Friday, I saw my normal chiropractor, Dr. Beck. He worked on my knee and really dug in there. Oh BOY, did it hurt! I couldn't stop grimacing or groaning. He made me sweat, it was so painful. I asked him when I could run again, and his answer was, "when your knee starts to cooperate." Boo. Stupid knee. I have a race in 2 weeks! I also had Dr. Beck look at my back, as it was painful all day on Thursday at work, and I was up all night trying to find a position to sleep in that didn't hurt. He told me I had a rib out. So he did a little work on that. Ouch.
Saturday I finally redeemed my gift certificate for a massage that my boss and co-workers gave me for completing my half ironman in September. The massage therapist, Darnell looked at me on the table and said, "Do you have scoliosis?" I told him no, but that my chiropractor told me I had a rib out. His reaction was, "Wow. I've never seen anything that bad before - except on somebody who has scoliosis." Great. Then Darnell asked, "Are you an athlete? Cause you look like you work out." I told him briefly about my activity and also mentioned my knee. So Darnell says, "Alright. We're not doing the 80 minute froo-froo massage. I'm gonna give you the athletes' massage. And I'm not gonna charge you for it; I just hate the froo-froo." OK. Great. Whatever. I told him that I just want my body to feel good.
Darnell is a chatter. He likes to talk about working out and nutrition and weight and races and competitions and gym time. He kept asking all sorts of questions. "What do you eat on your long runs or rides? What do you eat before a race? What is your recovery meal? What is your favorite protein mix?" I really just wanted to let my mind wander and relax for 80 minutes. But I had to have a conversation the whole time. :/
Darnell did some good work, however, and really spent time on my trouble muscles and stretched out my legs and hips. At one point he was stretching my hammies and I told him that they were always tight. He responded with, "Yeah, I'm sure they are, with those tree trunks for legs." LOL! I thought that was hilarious. Maybe I should be slightly offended, but I just laughed.
Darnell also spent time working on my knee. It was some good pain. Afterwards, he told me I probably shouldn't do any upper body work because of my rib. Ha. So I can't run because of my knee, and I can't workout my upper body because of my rib. Awesome.
Hopefully the combination of chiropractic work, Active Release Therapy and this 80 minute athlete massage will help my body out. I don't know why I'm suddenly breaking down. It's very frustrating.
![]() |
| When the dr. busts out some sort of stone and goes to town digging in to your knee and ITB, it really is pretty painful |
![]() |
| Dr. Beck's work |
I'm thinking all the time spent on my couch this weekend watching movies and eating Easter candy should do the trick. I did spend a bit of time outside digging up 2 of my plants in my backyard and transplanting them to the front yard. But that aggravated my back, so it was back to the couch for more movies and candy. I win at life.


No comments:
Post a Comment