Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sad & Happy

Last Friday, November 7th, I recieved news that my Grandpa Blakemore died. This was quite a shock, as even though he had a stroke the week before, he didn't have any major side effects and his progress in recovery was very positive. I had even gotten a positive update from my dad on Thursday, the day before Grandpa died. Friday was hard. Luckily I was working from home, so I could be in the comfort and privacy of my own place. I cried off and on all day. My grandpa was a great man. So generous and happy and talented!

First pic was taken December 2007, second pic is from Christmas, 2005


My sisters and I decided to fly out together, so Tami drove up to Julie's from Hampton on Monday afternoon, and I drove up that night. Tuesday morning we headed to Baltimore to catch our flight to Seattle. My brothers, Matt and Todd flew in from St. Louis Tuesday night. Poor Matt doesn't have a lot of money right now, so I offered to give him the Southwest buddy pass that my friend's mom gave me a couple of months ago. I went to the Post Office Monday morning to overnight the ticket to him, only to be reminded that the next day, Tuesday November 11, was a holiday; Veteran's Day. So I had to pay extra (almost double) for holiday delivery, but was reassured that it would still get there by 3PM the next day.


It did not get there. Matt had to buy a ticket. Now I get to go take it up with the Post Office.



Annoying.



Luckily, we all still made it. All 5 of us kids were home with Mom and Dad. That hasn't happened in a LONG time. Just the immediate family without spouses or kids. Wednesday morning we all woke up and migrated from our beds to pile on Mom & Dad's bed, like we did when we were little. We had some laughs.


The funeral service was wonderful and highlighted a lot of Grandpa's accomplishments, talent and love for his family. I laughed and I cried. It was a great tribute to his life. After the services at the church, we drove to the cemetery where the sun came out shining bright with no rain in sight (a miracle for WA in November!). The National Guard honored his life and presented a flag to my Grandma. One service woman played Taps on the bugle and it was such a pure and beautiful sound.




















The rest of the time in WA was spent enjoying the company of family, playing games, taking pictures and laughing a ton. I love my family. It is always a joyous occasion to see and be around them. Even in time of sorrow, we are able to be joyful.




















2 comments:

smeltzer family said...

I'm sorry for your loss! :( I didn't find out that he had passed until i came to church on Sunday or I would've went to the funeral. He was a great man and was always so sweet to me, especially when I felt so alone at church for so long. you are truley blessed to have him as a grandfather. I love ya ... and I am thinking of you.

melissa

Dale Clarke said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa, but I'm glad you're whole family got to be together - that doesn't happen often. I hope we can see all of you soon. -Amy

Check out my running and fundraising efforts that came to fruition December 2009 through my other blog: http://ccfa-mleblakemore.blogspot.com/