Wednesday, February 27, 2008

C - A - P - S : CAPS CAPS CAPS!!

It's a lucky day for my readers. I was feeling like I needed to post another blog entry, but really nothing has happened to me in the last several days that was very interesting. I was *this* close (finger and thumb almost touching) to dedicating a blog post all about my addiction to spreadsheets and thus revealing what a true nerd I am. Thank GOODNESS my brother-in-law's sister-in-law, Regina, had an extra ticket to the Washington Capitals game last night!! (I'll let you work out the above relationship in your head)




I am officially a Hockey fan! This was the best game I have ever been to. (It was my 2nd). The Capitals played Minnesota Wild, and whooped them, 4-1. It was a GREAT game! I yelled, clapped, and screamed a lot. I found out a bit about myself as well. It turns out that when it looks as if a fight is about to break out on the ice, I get REALLY excited and start screaming to egg them on. Why do I want to see them fight? I honestly don't know. For some reason it gets my adrenaline pumping. I find myself wishing for this same thing every time I attend a baseball game. Fight on the pitcher's mound! C'MON!!!




I digress......




Well, I didn't have to wait for long before my wish came true. Not even 10 minutes in to the 1st period, the gloves and masks came off and a couple of guys went AT IT!! YES!!!! Lots of screaming from me, a lot of "That's right! Take him down! Let him have it!" out of my mouth, and me scrambling for my phone so I could take a photo. The result is this:




I was very surprised at how well that came out on my phone! It was really exciting. Pretty sure it was Don Brashear (AKA Brash) going at it down there. Yeah BRASH! Besides the fact that the Caps already scored 2 goals! Then the 2nd period came. What could top what I had already seen? I'll tell you what! 2 more goals and another fight!! I'm telling you, I was jumping out of my seat and screaming and laughing. I hadn't had that much fun in a while. The second fight had Matt Bradley (Brads) taking Mr. Wild down to the ice! Finished him off. I think I need to start going to all the games.

Kudos to Brooks Laich (Leech) for scoring 2 of the 4 goals, with his first goal made before the clock hit 3 minutes from a sweet assist from Tom Fleischmann (Flash), and Olaf Kolzig (Olie) for an awesome game, blocking 34 of 35 shots on the goal. Olie the Goalie! Also, the other 2 goals were firsts of the season for Fehr & Morrison (Morrie). Yay for them!

Some more highlights:
  • Mites on Ice - these little kids are so cute! I love the little dudes all decked out with the pads and helmets. I can clearly picture my nephew, Joseph, in that garb.
  • The Zambonis
  • The Geriatric hockey players. I was cheering almost as loud for these old geezers as I was during the real game! So funny. Yellow #9 fell down and it took him a good 2 minutes to try to get back up! Then he had to leave the ice. Ha! I love these old guys for getting out on the ice and playing the game that they love!
  • The "soundtrack" to the game. Pretty sure they played at least 4 songs that are on Guitar Hero 3. You can bet that I whipped out my air guitar and played along!
  • The little video clip where I learned a lot of nicknames:
  1. Matt Bradley: Brads
  2. Donald Brashear: Brash
  3. Sergei Fedorov: Ser
  4. Tomas Fleischmann: Flash
  5. Boyd Gordon: Gordie
  6. Mike Green: Greenie
  7. Olaf Kolzig: Olie
  8. Brooks Laich: Leech
  9. Shaone Morrisonn: Morrie

Good times! I'd like to be a regular attendee. I'm thinking this year will be my year for hockey and soccer!


Oh! The good old hockey game,
Is the best game you can name;
And the best game you can name,
Is the good old Hockey game!

4 comments:

Louise said...

By not allowing you to scream and fight as a child I've created a monster.

Anonymous said...

You are so funny, I find myself getting online everyday just to read your blog, I love you!!

Merrilee said...

Hockey players are the hottest and best. They are real man. Can you imagine Edward on ice? Wow.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I love it when they fight! That is my favorite part!

Check out my running and fundraising efforts that came to fruition December 2009 through my other blog: http://ccfa-mleblakemore.blogspot.com/